The Lads

Following consecutive wins against Woorooloo and South Perth, the resurgent Victoria Park men’s team travelled to Belmont to take on BSRC Wanderers. The game shaped as an important test for Vic Park who had been beaten by the Wanderers 8-0 in the opening game of the season.

From the outset the game was played at a hectic pace with both teams being starved of scoring opportunities by good defensive pressure.

But 15 minutes in, Gabriel Silias passed superbly to fast-running mid-fielder Ger O’Keefe who flicked the ball past the keeper to open the scoring.

Ten minutes later Belmont equalised thanks to some smart midfield work. They continued to press forward, earning several corners and firing off a number of shots from long range, but without success.

Then, shortly after the half-time break, fullback Steven McGuire pushed a long pass into space where Ger O’keefe was able to finish off to give Vic Park the lead.

At the 80-minute mark, forward Aaron Lake crossed accurately to Paul Stacey who finished off to give the team a convincing win.


The Ladies

Meanwhile, beyond the northernmost reaches of the Kwinana Freeway, the Vic Park womens’ team faced the well ranked Quinns FC.

Vic Park has been haunted by shaky starts for most of this season, and Sunday’s game was no exception. Hanya and Ferne held off multiple early attacks from Quinns’ strikers, and as the nerves calmed, Vic Park dug their heels in and slowly moved play out of defense into attack, pushing up and controlling from there.

The pitch was noticeably smaller than Raphael Park A, and the girls quickly adapted by using long throws into attack and controlled through-balls to the strikers. Keeper, Rita Fletcher, capitalised on the small pitch immediately, sending every goal kick past half way to put Vic Park straight into attack.

The team focused on using their ever improving passing game. This and some shining one-twos, committed tackles, and being first to the ball meant they comfortably defeated a strong and skilled opponent. The end result was 4-1, with goals scored by Katie, Chelsea and Holly.

Hanya and Niki ensured they sucked the marrow out of their last game, running their legs off before travelling to the promised land: Brazil. They are leaving a huge void in talent, effort and morale, but our growing cohesion as a team will ensure we continue our strong performances.


Next week…

…Both teams play at home, Raphael Park. The women play Kalamunda Utd FC and the men take on UWA-Nedlands FC. Kicks-offs are at 1pm and 3pm respectively.

See you there!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.